The secret ingredient is honey!
- 1 1/4 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- 2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 1 carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 small red onion, cut into rings
- 1 tomato, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
Mix together turkey, onion, bell pepper, garlic, cilantro, oregano,honey, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, a scant 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Form into 4 (4 1/2-inch-wide) patties.
Heat a large griddle or 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat until hot, then lightly toast buns.
Oil griddle, then cook patties, turning once, about 10 minutes total or until done through. Transfer to buns.
Mix together cabbage, carrot, and 1/4 teaspoon salt, then cook, turning occasionally, until slightly wilted, about 2 minutes. Divide among burgers.
Oil griddle again, then sear onion and tomato, turning once, until slightly charred, about 2 minutes total. Divide among burgers.
Stir together ketchup, mayonnaise, and mustard, then top burgers with sauce.