This is a good recipe to reblog for this time of the year!!
The bees gave us one of the earliest alcoholic beverages known, mead. Mead predates wine and distilled spirits by many thousands of years.
This recipe is quite different from mead, but satisfying just the same. Vodka may be substituted for whiskey for a lighter tasting drink.
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons chopped, fresh ginger root
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 1/2 cups bourbon whiskey (or vodka)
How to make it
- Bring honey and water to boil, boiling for approx. 3 – 5 minutes. Ensure to skim any foam off surface (this is residual beeswax).
- Add ginger and lemon and boil for additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stand until just warm, strain out solids with fine seive.
- Transfer liquid to clean dry container and add whiskey or vodka.
- Store in cool, dark place for 4 weeks.
- Homemade Mead or Honey Wine. (moorefamilystuff.wordpress.com)