My Buckfast bees refuse to build on easy-to-use, pre-assembled cheap plastic frames. I can’t say that I blame them.
So I spent the bulk of my weekend hand-crafting wooden frames with wired wax foundation. Thirty-eight of them!
Twenty-eight of the thirty-eight frames I built this weekend
When I bought my first hive almost a decade ago, I had the option of having it assembled or assembling it myself. The difference was $60.00. In an uncharacteristic fit of thriftiness, I chose self-assembly.
About $200 dollars worth of tools and countless woman-hours later, I had built my first bee hive, complete with frames!
I’m still proud of that accomplishment. I also learned a whole lot about the structure and function of every part of the hive.
Which is why I wasn’t daunted by the prospect of assembling thirty-eight frames from what looks like a bag of sticks and some sheets of wax.
Bag of sticks and sheets of wax…
Two of my three hives are now happy campers. The third hive is another story. They’ve rejected wax in favor of building their own digs.
Combs built from the hive cover
The bees are happy even if I’m not…
I removed a frame from each hive box and placed comb between the spaces. I hope it works!!
In any event, I’m going to try going foundation-less in my next hive. The bees seem to really like building their own homestead.
I’m going to let my bees be bees!